Friday, June 26, 2009

bizarre pregancy symptoms

Pregnancy is known to be a bizarre experience, but there's a lot of minor changes that nobody warns you about. In no particular order, here's a few things I've had to deal with. The only good thing about them is that for the most part, these symptoms are not a constant thing--they usually come and go. My theory is that pregnancy exacerbates any tendencies you already have, so most of these things aren't new to me, just more severe than usual.

1. Super-sensitive skin: I feel downright autistic in terms of how many sensory issues I'm having around clothing. I can't STAND how my clothes feel when I wear them. I'll go put something on, only to be consumed with the desire to rip it off after a few minutes. I can't stand the way some fabrics feel against my skin, and I'm always scratching at something. Tags are an absolute nightmare. Fortunately this comes and goes.

2. Hair in odd spots. You get these random sprouts of hair but in all the weirdest places. It's kind of freaky, but fortunately painless.

3. The inability to be comfortable in any position while sleeping. It's also hard to sleep because I get hot, then cold, and can't seem to maintain a consistently comfortable temperature. I can't seem to get comfortable at all some nights. Sleep can be very elusive as a result.

4. Weird rashes and dry skin. Sometimes it's like eczema almost. It's really itchy and red. I've always had a lot of allergies and dermatitis and such, but usually I'm able to go without daily moisturizing, but now I have to slather stuff on constantly or I'll itch like crazy.

5. Vivid dreams! Actually people do warn you about this. When you're pregnant, assuming you're getting any sleep, you have these vivid, out-there dreams where you wake up and wonder where the heck that came from! Most of mine are more like nightmares, but sometimes they're just *random*.

6. Acne: I'm suddenly breaking out all over. It looks a bit different from the acne I had as a teenager, but it's there. Fortunately this was more of an early pregnancy thing and it's starting to get better.

7. Sinus crud: It was hard to place this at first, but my sinuses are definitely worse than even my usual perma-allergy status would dictate. What's really weird is that my ears are congested too, so it's really hard to hear some days. It usually comes and goes, but it's very annoying.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home