Friday, November 17, 2006

yep we're in the south

whew it's nashville. i was so glad to be offa that plane, let me tell you. but it wasn't as bad as the trip home, because i was so tired i was able to sleep nearly all the way after i got over gawking at the aerial splendors of Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Someone shoulda warned my father in law that you can't just roll up in a Cracker Barrel on a friday night in the south...so after a spell we ended up over at Loretta Lynn's country kitchen and for the first time in a long long while i heard the sounds of Tennessee rollin' around the room and felt the impact of being back in the south.

For the rest of the week, i got the royal treatment in Memphis and got to savor long lost faces, have people say hi to me regardless of whether or not they knew me, and got my fill of good times. I've been gone now in exile for about 2 1/2 years now and it's been long enough that a lot of things have changed and there's no way i could go slide back into any semblance of my old life...or could I? I don't know...the south is forgiving in a lot of ways, but I'm feeling my age just the same. It was nice sitting around fires, seeing familiar faces and reminiscing about times long past. I miss a lot of things about Memphis but mostly it's the people. Y'all rule!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home