Monday, October 23, 2006

a day of rest

some days call for actions, plans and goals.

other days call for taking care of yourself when you are down and out.

I turned off the phone, climbed in bed and slept almost all day with some breaks to drink fluids, cough some more, and blow my nose millions of times. When I was not sleeping, I read a good bit of Death at an Early Age.

Every so often, I get in the mood for a little moral outrage and some Kozol. It's not that I don't get enough of this sort of thing in my daily life, but it's nice to have some outside perspective. As someone who alternates between the poles of idealistic and jaded responses to the social evils that permeate my immediate world, I like hearing someone taking these themes and expounding on them with an eloquence that I personally do not possess. I'm not a crusader, just a quiet but steadfastly and defiantly stubborn person who plants trees and hates injustice, and acts upon my convictions on a more personal scale. So, I'm glad then, that there are other people who are able to say the things that I feel loudly enough so that others will listen, and I can be spared to do what I do best, which is patiently work with kids whom others consider difficult or unreachable.

But for now I am too sick to do much but lay in bed with my tea, so the harvest goes unharvested another day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home