Wednesday, October 25, 2006

the patron saint of lost things


Something about the month of October always gets me down...I always have a horrible string of bad luck no matter how hard I try to go along. Tonight on the way home from tutoring, I discovered that I didn't have my wallet so couldn't get back home as I was too far from home to walk there. I had to walk back and sheepishly beg a ride off of the kid's mom, and live with the knowledge that the only place that wallet could have been was on the #6 bus heading for Vancouver, Washington.
Now oddly enough I've been really lucky in the past to get that darn thing back several times from the most unlikely settings. When you lose your wallet on the bus, you don't have real high expectations to begin with, much less on the night bus that goes past a string of drug treatment centers, pawn shops, homeless shelters and low income neighborhoods. Like most occasions, there might have been a dollar or two in there, but that wasn't the loss...losing my bankcard and monthly pass is the problematic element, and being without ID is problematic as well...I've gotta fly somewhere in about a month.
Luckily once again it got turned in. Now I'm not catholic but I'm starting to get superstitious as hell, so I'm giving mad props to Saint Anthony of Padua, because I don't know who's looking out for me, but I reckon I gotta start somewhere. (Or maybe I just have a helluva lot of good karma saved up from working with at-risk youth, years of volunteer work, and other good deeds). Anyhow...I'm not taking my chances.
Saint Anthony, perfect imitator of Jesus, who received from God the special power of restoring lost things, thank you for helping bring my wallet back, which had been lost. Thank you for restoring to me peace and tranquility of mind, the loss of which has afflicted me even more than my material loss. To this favor I ask another of you: that I may always remain in possession of the true good that is God. Let me rather lose all things than lose God, my supreme good. Let me never suffer the loss of my greatest treasure, eternal life with God. Amen.
Peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home