Wednesday, November 01, 2006

attack of the killer green tomatoes

"Blow wind blow, wherever you may go..."  I woke up in the morning feeling like I got
run over by the norfolk and southern after a night out wandering the streets in the
east gorge winds. To be blunt I felt like hell. The wind was still whipping around
outside, and my short trip over to the bank convinced me that staying home was the way
to go for wednesday.

I spent the afternoon on a canning mission, and made some more green salsa, green ketchup
and something i call salsa diablo verde, which is a jalapeno sauce and a fitting way
to use up some of the 10 million or so we have around the house.
And in between that and fooling with the spaghetti sauce going in the slow cooker,
I simmered away an entire afternoon (which may be hard to believe for some, but for
anyone who understands the canning process isn't that surreal after all).
I figure on All Souls Day, it's a fitting tribute to my ancestors who spent many a
day hunkered over pressure cookers with stacks of jars peeling and slicing the
bounties of summer. It is from them that I learned the secrets of making applesauce,
grape juice, pickles and ketchup. I don't know if they would have approved of green
ketchup but you never know...

Who knows what I'll manage to do with over 12 quarts of salsa verde, but I reckon I
better make some cornbread. I love that combo.

Quote of the day: (highly appropriate me thinks, in this, the last week before
election day)

"My highest hope is that the community voice will start drowning out the shoutfests
on television (and radio for that matter!). If people start turning off their televisions
and listening more to each other, then I know I've done my job. We can only reach
understanding when we listen to each other a lot more."

--Paul Shapiro http://digitaldivide.net./profile/pshapiro

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home