Friday, May 26, 2006

here goes nothing...

Okay...It wasn't raining when we loaded up the truck (but that was just a well timed break). It rained pretty much every minute after we pulled away from the curb and got on I-5. I had taken the liberty of wrapping everything in huge plastic bags that I've heisted from work for several months. That totally saved our butts because it rained buckets all the way across the Vancouver Bridge into Washington. I'm suprised the road didn't totally flood. The traffic was bad, but I've seen worse...

We arrived and were able to set up because the rain had tapered off somewhat, but it rained pretty steadily once we got the canopy up. After getting more or less situated, we went on a walk around the campground and found a trail that lead down the the E Fork of the Lewis River. One one side there were salamanders everywhere and a path that led up to a waterfall. On the other side, there were huge slugs and the chorus of frogs. Looks like the trail went further, but the river was flooded and we had to come to a stop. On the way back up I scoped out all the nice raspberries and salmonberries, wild dicentra, trillium and dozens of unknown woodland plants.

Back at A-Camp, I busted out the emergency soup (glad I brought that) and made some grilled cheez on the new campstove. (Boy do I love the new campstove, it works soooo well).
It was wet and chilly, and after reading for awhile in the dark, we had some hot chocolate and called it a night. The rain did not abate, if anything it rained harder over night, but our brilliant plan of putting the tent in the bed of the truck, with a canopy over it kept the rain out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home