Monday, April 27, 2009

Ten Moons Give Light

I called the OB-GYN today and started the process of frequent fliers miles at the doctor's office. Being pregnant will bring me much closer to the medical establishment than I ever could have desired...that I'm not looking forward to. I don't enjoy the western medical experience all that much, and am actually deeply suspicious of many of the common assumptions that underlie the whole regimine. But alas, I must.

At least obtaining prenatal vitamins was simple enough, and I'm glad I don't have to pay retail price for this stuff--I noticed that prenatal vitamins range between $15-45 if you buy them at the store. Yikes! I remember watching L--- take her horsepills back in the day. These, blessedly, aren't too bad--they're about the same size as most vitamin supplements that come in gelatin pills, and are just as easy to swallow. I was really worried about the size because I'm not all that adept at taking pills...it's been a lifelong problem. I still will have to take a calcium supplement in addition to that--I'm pretty sure I need more of that ingredient.

As of right now, I feel a bit "different" but pretty good overall. My energy level is certainly lower, but not to the point where I can't function. I'm sure as I get further along in the gestation process, I'll feel a lot less "functional", so for now I'll enjoy the general sense of well-being. The only thing that's hard right now is sleep. I'm not sleeping very well, so I haven't worked much...then again, the job offerings haven't been all that great lately. Since I'm tired of getting sick (from being around hygienically-challenged pathogen-spreading children), I've cut out all elementary school assignments from my subbing diet, but unfortunately there's not much else going on. Oh well, I probably need to relax anyhow...

I saw this poem and liked it. I'm on a bit of a gardening kick because it's almost May, and we're nearly past frost date, FINALLY. I went a bit wild at the plant sale over at Bi-Mart, so we will not lack for tomatoes around here...or much of anything else. I think by the end of the week, I'll have a greenhouse as well--yay!

Ten Moons Give Light

Women are like plants.
We turn light into matter.
Plants do photosynthesis -
We do embryogenesis.
How do we do this magic?
No one knows.
Women take the light
in our lovers' eyes and
in ten moons give light
in the form of a baby.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home