Sunday, December 10, 2006

73. Write about a day spent in another country.

73. Write about a day spent in another country.

I woke up, yawned and turned over when someone below me shifted in their bed pulling me out of my sleep. Looking out the windows of the youth hostel, I could see about a million cargo ships out in the bay circling around down below. From the top of the mountain, they looked like insects or toys.
I shuffled down to the communal kitchen and grabbed a bag of ramen noodles and a pot and turned on one of the propanes stoves until the blue ring of fire touched the bottom of the pot and let the water boil for the morning tea. Searching the shelves with sleepy eyes, I found an odd assortment of things one often finds left behind in a youth hostel, but finally I found what I was looking for...a glass bottle I had stashed the night before. I threw a few tea leaves in and poured water over them until they finally sank and settled on the bottom, turning the water a yellowish green. The ramen noodles went into the rest of the water and finally when they were soft, I fished a bowl out of the sink, hunted down a pair of chopsticks and joined the conversation at the table.
As it turned out, three of us wanted to go to the same place, Lantau Island...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home