Sunday, December 03, 2006

inertia, frigidity and post-fermentation ponderings

Today's been a pretty mellow day which means this ain't gonna be the most exciting dispatch. But sometimes it's nice to realize that sometimes interesting requires effort. These days I never feel like doing much of anything on my day off, but I don't have much of a choice since it's the one chance I get all week to make up for whatever I didn't get done earlier.

Aside from sleeping in, the day's been fairly productive. I made two types of soup to subsist on for the rest of the week (cream of brocolli and tomato/veggie), and Brian made chili for dinner. We also opened up the first bottle of the four gallons of apple/pear cider and watched a couple of football games. It's sunny out but really cold and windy and getting worse all the time on both fronts. Oddly enough it's beneficial in the sense that I don't need to worry about trying to fit large quantities of soup in the fridge, it's cold enough to just stick it outside.

Most of the garden is looking forlorn, but luckily we still have quite a few herbs that are fine with being cold, and of course the kale, chard, spinach and mustard is quite content with being out in 30 degree weather and has never tasted better. I still have peppers and tomatoes indoors and I haven't even had a chance to dip into the pumpkins yet, but sooner or later I'll get motivated to make pumpkin stew.

The cider turned out surprisingly well, it's fairly sweet, and has a surprisingly high alcohol content for something made with beer yeast. It's got a unique flavor because of the pears and a nice tang, but unlike my homemade wines, is not at all dry.

There's a lot of other things I probably should have tried to do today but I'm gonna have to let go of all that because I can't perform miracles 7 days a week, a body gots ta rest ya know...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home