Wednesday, June 03, 2009

a bit of a celebrity

I was back at one of my favorite schools again today, with my favorite group of 7th graders. I'm a bit of celebrity with this group--I've subbed for them a few times, and see them around on other occasions since I work in another classroom at that school pretty regularly, so I run into them on those days too.

They were a bit squirrelier than usual since it's the last few days of school, but overall it went well. It was a pretty easy day for me...they were working on group projects and watching a movie (a documentary). During their middle of class break, I took them outside (so they could blow off some steam and let out their excess energy without bothering anyone else).

I took a chance and brought them some popcorn (to go with their movie) and that went surprisingly well...(This is something I've only ever done in Special Ed, so this is my first time trying it out in a regular-sized mainstream classroom). I had a couple kids go get a stack of paper towels to use as plates, and both classes did a pretty good job of cleaning up afterward, and the floor looked pretty good after all that.

The afternoon class had it a bit rougher than the morning class because it was really hot in the afternoon, so I had them all fold their own personal over-sized fans (with poster paper I reclaimed from the recycle bin), and that helped keep heads cooler...let's just say it was a good day to sit in the dark and watch a movie.

It was a pretty good day, all things considered. I had to confiscate a few paper airplanes here and there, and quell some outbreaks of talking, but nothing out of the normal...like I said, they're my favorite seventh graders by far, and it was nice to have a laidback day with them, one last time before the end of the school year.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home