Thursday, January 08, 2009

So far so good

I've only been at it for a couple of days, but so far this long term subbing position is going along quite nicely. I've got a little office of sorts, so I don't have to carry around my full bag of tricks, and the kids seem to be getting used to my ways. Now that I've been there more than once, the other teachers are starting to notice I'm there. It's only my third day I've been at this school, but I'm finally starting to get the hang of things, and starting to match names to faces.

I've got a core group of about 10 kids (mostly boys) that I work with intensively throughout the day (multiple subjects), and 2 classes (7th and 8th grade) that I work in as an assistant. I've already figured out who the goofballs are in the classes, and who needs a more "personal touch". I'm having fun picking on slackers, and using some of my best high school lines on a new and appreciative audience. For the most part, the kids seem to respond well to me doing my thing, and I'm enjoying them since they're really not too bad (for middle schoolers).

It's a huge change of pace for me since I'm doing a lot more math and science than I usually do, but there's still some ESL, reading, geography, social studies, and language arts to be done every day as well. It's definitely a multiple subject gig, but not self-contained, so the day goes by really fast with all the moving around I have to do. I have a feeling the month is gonna fly right by...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home