Friday, December 05, 2008

fun is elementary

So today was only my second time working for district #2, who I finally convinced to hire me after years of pestering. You'd think this Friday would be hot substitute teaching action, but the subboard was strangely quiet. I saw a few things on there, but nothing too exciting. For a while I thought I was all dressed up with nowhere to go, but at the last minute I got called to go work at an elementary school not too far from where I live. Sweet! I'm kind of in the mood for an elementary school on a Friday.

I generally prefer middle and high school jobs because teens are my favorite, but an elementary school now and again is a nice change of pace. It's fun to revisit the joys of childhood once in awhile. Every time I do this, I am reminded that the energy level of elementary school is a bit too much of me, but once in awhile it's alright.

Today I was in a small self-contained special education classroom in an aging--but cute--school building. It's been awhile since I've been in a building of this vintage--most of the schools I've been in lately have been brand-spankin' new. The kids were fun and warmed right up to me, so it was a pretty straightforward afternoon of elementary school special education routines. There was some serious drama that went down while I was away on my lunch break, but for me, the whole day was pleasant and enjoyable. A major plus at the end of the day was the awesome sunny weather, and not having to drive over the West Hills in Friday evening traffic-yay!

So this kind of strange and disjointed week ended on a positive note. Hopefully next week goes back to normal. Happy Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home