Monday, October 06, 2008

must be fall...

It's that time of year again-fall. As Tom Waits puts it, "September's reminding July it's time to say goodbye," and it's about the most nostalgic time of year for me, maybe even more so than New Year's Eve. In honor of the return of grey skies and colorful leaves glued to wet sidewalks, here's a poem for fall.

Can you remember the songs we sang,
Walking down streets in the pouring rain,
Old friends lost in spaces filled up with time,
Like leaves, we all blew pretty far from the vine,
Those days seem like a faded dream,
Dreams that now belong to someone else,
Though I seldom get to speak to them,
Nevertheless sometimes I think of them,
Now faces of children peep on Christmas cards I keep,
From my old friends,
Why do I keep wondering if they're doing alright,
Remember when we used to stay out all night,
Old friends turn up every time I hear that song,
Look like people I see on buses, drift away in the fog,
Old friends call sometimes out of the blue,
To see if they can still find themselves in you,
Probably it's just the way things are meant to be,
We drift far away from who we used to be,
All my old friends

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home