Friday, October 03, 2008

Will work for...

After fretting for the past week about the lack of work in my life, I pulled a posting off Subfinder right before I hit the hay. This was a nice little number over at BHS, and in spite of having to get up incredibly early (the downside of picking up HS jobs), it was not a bad way to spend my Friday. I like working in High Schools,I totally enjoy teenagers, and I got to spend my day working with a funny bunch of kids. Unfortunately I ended up doing a lot of math, which is NOT my forte, but it wasn't the end of the world. (Glad the kid who was doing calculus homework didn't try asking for assistance though!)

This was one of my first assignments where I was exposed to BLC. It's not as scary as I would have thought. Maybe I'll be more open minded about this in the future.

Overall the kids were pretty nice to me and a few were downright helpful. A few were antsy as well, but nothing that's out of my depth. Compared to the 2005 crew, these guys were pretty tame. Thankfully, I haven't gotten completely rusty...

Being around teens all day reminds me that I wish I could have had my OWN classroom this year, but since my mother wants to visit soon, I'm glad I have the flexibility to take a whole week off without inconveniencing anyone other than myself (If I'm not working, I'm not getting paid). If I were teaching, it would probably be an ESL class, and a lot of subs won't touch that assignment with a 10 ft pole. I don't know what's more intimidating for your average sub-a room full of people who don't necessarily speak English-or a room full of Hispanic boys. Personally, I'm fine with either or both.

One of these days, I will have a home.

For now, I'm kind of enjoying the variety. I'm pretty open-minded compared to most of my unemployed compatriots, so I'm hoping I'll get to wear a lot of different hats this year. I just wish there was a little bit more of it. I could use the money. The phone hasn't been ringing much this year. I guess everyone is really healthy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home