Thursday, October 02, 2008

I'm not crazy

I'm not crazy (don't laugh), but my husband thinks I'm NUTS for combining tuna, tomatoes, and pasta. He was far less than thrilled at the idea of these things coexisting in meal-form. However, if I am crazy for thinking these things are a reasonable culinary undertaking, I am hardly alone in my insanity. Google has 2,360,000 results for (recipe, tuna, tomatoes). I'm guessing the Italians are to blame for this gustatory monstrosity (that actually sounded pretty good to me).

Here's a few samples of similar recipes:

Fusilli with Tuna and Tomato Sauce (ingredients: fusilli, tomato sauce, tuna, capers, lemon peel, pepper, salt, parsley)

Pasta with tuna, tomato and garlic sauce (ingredients: olive oil, garlic, tomatoes, tuna, buter, pasta, parsley, salt, pepper)

Farfalle with Tuna, Tomatoes and Olives Recipe (ingredients: farfalle (bow-tie) pasta, olive oil, anchovies, tomatoes, black olives,basil, tuna)

At the time, I didn't have a recipe, but that's not unusual. Most of my culinary episodes are inspired by what's on hand and instinct, rather than formulaic precision and consistent results.

Q: What do I have a lot of RIGHT NOW that could turn into dinner?
A: Tomatoes (tons), Tuna (tons), basil, pasta

My recipe:

1/2 bag of fusilli from Trader Joe's, boiled in a pot and set aside

(in the skillet)
1 bag misc odd bits of tuna from freezer stash
(in can terms, this ends up being a little more than a can of tuna in oil)
white wine and olive oil, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan to keep the tuna from sticking to it
1/4 cup chopped sweet onion and
1 clove garlic, minced
1 really large super-ripe heirloom Brandywine tomato cut up into chunks
juice from 1/2 lemon
sea salt to taste
a little bit of olive brine from the olive jar for tang

Once the tomatoes are cooked down, add the noodles, and they'll soak up all the juice. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired. I made this with frozen tuna so I would imagine that if you're using canned, you'd want to add the tuna last so it doesn't get all weird and mushy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home