Wednesday, September 24, 2008

open letter

I am now witnessing something that personally grieves me greatly, which involves close friends and family members of mine. People I love and care about, who are otherwise good, kind, and intelligent have recently been forwarding to me some malicious, misinformed and, at times, racist e-mails. Not creating them, necessarily; just "innocently" sending along. The problem is, that even if nothing malicious is intended by these actions, by sending this to me (and to others), it's implied that you assume that I feel the same way too.

What grieves me now is that people I love and care about are exhibiting behaviors that I’ve never seen in them, behaviors that I am unable continue to tolerate in silence. Needless to say, I'm very disappointed. I’m also saddened to be confronted with more and more evidence that we have a long way to go as human beings. Racism is nothing new to any of us, but I had hoped that the people I love wouldn't be involved in spreading these sorts of hateful thoughts with their names attached.

Should my e-mail be the repository of more of this garbage, be aware that it will always be deleted, just as all previous deliveries of this nature. The only place they belong is in the trash.

(adapted from "The politics of hate can be closer than we think" by Barrett Rainey)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home