Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I am a woman standing in line for justice

I'm a woman wearing combat boots and overalls with a headscarf
I am a woman standing in line for justice,
I'm a pen with too many indignations to write them all down
There are insults ringing in my ears, engines being revved in my direction, looks that could kill,
I am standing here unsatisfied with humanity,
I have stood in the forest breathing eternity, listening to the stories of the trees
I'm a garden full of lush green leaves, and buzzing bees, and wild corners constantly overtaken by thistles and dandelions
I'm a wine bottle full of old memories and sad songs
I'm accused of sitting on front porches, drinking in life's mysteries out of cracked mason jars
I have dreamed of 24 hour libraries full of creaky rocking chairs and cozy fireplaces
I'm the pair of chopsticks that can pick up anything
I'm a woman standing hand-in-hand with the kids that got picked last for everything
I have dreamed that all children everywhere could all sit on the porch swing together with brown legs dangling with pale legs and everyone has enough ice cream and hugs
I'm a woman who makes up ridiculous nonsensical songs while peeling apples or playing with children
I'm a woman who rides a bicycle with crow feathers stuck in the handlebars
I'm an immigrant in the land of flat screen TVs and tanks sized SUVs reading old books riding in the back of the bus
I'm a bus stop where impatient people are standing around waiting for someone to take them away someplace else
I'm a pot of green tea steeped in compassion
I'm the steam that rises swirling in the air like a ghost
I've dreamed of revolution in the streets,
A magical day where everyone goes to the playground, and no one drives to work

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home