Saturday, February 09, 2008

home inspection day

Today we did our DIY home inspection (one of the benefits of having all those building code certifications is that you can do all of this yourself) so we spent about three hours looking at structural supports, pipes, testing outlets, examining roofs, and so forth. The weather was cooperative today (it was sunny and fairly warm) so we were able to spend a good bit of time outside as well. After all, it's hard to get excited about doing an exterior inspection when it's pouring down rain.

Didn't find any glaring code violations or anything too quirky or exciting. Things are in good shape, and there weren't any huge surprises. Structurally, the house is quite sound, and it's functional, in good overall condition, and in good repair. I'm grateful this is the case because I really am not at a life-stage where I want to spend a lot of time fooling with a fixer-upper. Maybe later, but not here and now.

I'm officially allowing myself to get excited about this...I've been trying to be restrained about the whole affair because who knows what could go wrong, but I think now it's safe to say that things are looking pretty certain and we'll be moving this spring--a couple of blocks down the street anyway.

I'm glad we will be able to stay in the same neighborhood. I don't have to learn the quirks of a new bus, we already know where things are, and all that. I know what to expect and I like that. It'll be the easiest move we've ever had, and I can still walk to the bakery every Saturday.

Now it's time to start stalking home and garden magazines. I finally have a reason!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home