Friday, February 22, 2008

fry-day

I remember sneaking out some of Njeri's cds at night when I was hanging out alone late at night in the restaurant washing the dishes (nobody but me and the Co-op ghost, that is!). Thanks to her, I discovered India Aire (which considering that I was already into Lauryn Hill, it was kind of a logical thing to get into at that time in my life).

I really shoulda turned this cd back into the library this morning (because it's due), but I decided to hang onto the cd for one more day, and played it during writing time. (Only one kid complained, but a little while later, I caught him turning it up louder, so that might be an endorsement in disguise). I'm experimenting with playing music during writing periods to limit the talking impulses and keep the 6th graders focused for the relatively long periods that I'm asking them to work. It's also a backdoor method of reinforcing some of the ideas we've talked about in class...India Aire is nothing, if not positive and I think the kids need more of that. And of course, I can justify it on the grounds of Multiple Intelligences. On the plus side, I turned on my cooperating teacher to something new.

"Headed in the right direction, I can see the light of day..." When I got home this afternoon, I did something I haven't done in a really long time--I went on a good walk. I went over to Brentwood park and swing-swang-swung on the swings, then sprawled out in the green green grass and laid there watching the clouds roll on by. I watched dogs running around at the dog park, and saw all the birds out hopping around and twittering, I looked at all the buds beginning to swell on the trees (the plums will bloom pretty soon, and the quinces aren't far off either). On the way back home, I watched the sun set behind the skeletal frames of the trees and for the first time in a long time felt pretty good about life. It's amazing what a little fresh air will do for you, when February has got you feelin' down.

"Headed in the right direction, I can see the light of day..." Lately I've been getting a lot closer to some of the things I've been wanting out of life and it feels really good. I drove past our soon-to-be-house again for the millionth time and felt really good about what we're doing. I think we've managed to do pretty well for ourselves. All I'm waiting on is the closing date, then the fun begins.

"Headed in the right direction, I can see the light of day,
I've got love as my protection, there's no need for me to be afraid"

"Headed in the right direction, I can see the light of day,
I've got faith and intuition telling me that I will be okay"
The kiddos were working hard today-I think my "git 'er done" speech did its job. Almost everyone is where they need to be. I was definitely impressed. This week, two of my "troublemakers" are turning out to be decent students and I'm absolutely thrilled that (for whatever reason) they keep on turning in their work on time and doing the right things (and not goofing off as much as usual). It's actually kinda spooky, and I've probably jinxed next week completely by even alluding to it.

My afternoon group was more cooperative than they've been yet, and aside from some minor incidents, they've been nearly perfect (I've always had a harder time with them because they never got my big spiel like the morning group) and sometimes they act like they don't need to listen to me. February's kind of a tough month on all of us, and I think some of the grumpiness is starting to go away now that it's starting to be a bit more spring-like.

"Headed in the right direction, I can see the light of day
Now I've found my pearl of wisdom, there's no need for me to be afraid."
When I first started out, I didn't know what to think of 6th graders, and I was a bit nervous about teaching them, but they're starting to grow on me and it's been going fine.

"Headed in the right direction, there's an angel showing me the way
I have found my inspiration, headed in the right direction"
Today turned out to be a pretty good day. The weather was nice. The odyssey to Beaverton went well, and I had a nice evening. All in all, a very satisfying Friday.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home