Saturday, September 29, 2007

reading reflection

Aww hell, why not. These things should have a wider audience, and my political commentary has been pretty minimal as of late...

"There is waning support for immigrants in the US", might be the understatement of the year, as one of my students felt the need to remind me the other day. She shared some of her "views" on the topic that I made a point of saying (politely) that I did not happen to share.

The topic of immigration is an interesting one that I have numerous opportunities to think about and reflect upon as it impacts my daily life in so many ways. Having been one myself at one time, I know what it feels like to be a stranger in a strange land. Being involved with immigrants in a variety of settings, I have heard quite a bit about how they feel about it. And living around other native-born "Americans" (for reasons of irony, I put that in quotations), I am often treated to their views of those who are new to this game.

I often find myself confronted with other people's opinions on the topic, most of which I find either very shallow, simplistic, or hypocritical. In case you haven't figured me out, I don't have a problem with immigration. As far as I'm concerned it's fine with me if people want to come here and give it a whirl. Fine by me. I happen to like diversity. It keeps things interesting.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home