Saturday, September 29, 2007

hard to get it up

Sorry that sounds like a subject line the spam folder...but it's a good metaphor for how I feel about doing homework all day long on a Saturday. To be fair, I was warned that this term would be the hardest one ever, but one cannot underestimate how difficult it is to get motivated to spend one's day off doing nothing but homework and chores. In my case, it took some well-deserved sleeping in combined with a trip to the bakery and extended caffeine infusions to get the train moving out of the yard onto the rails. To say that I'm not feeling motivated or studious is an enormous understatement. The lack of innate enthusiasm is further compounded by the fact that I am fully aware that my ENTIRE natal clan is out frolicking on a beach in North Carolina at this very moment, no doubt sitting around, grazing on snacks, drinking a variety of adult beverages, telling tall tales, playing with kids, and socializing.

Okay, pity party over. I'm not cavorting on the beach. I'm in cold rainy Portland, a place I chose to be. Doing my chapter readings as any intelligent grad student would. Thinking about my unit plan as I rightly should be, considering that it's looming large. Wondering about the finer points of classroom management, as I will be expected to gain some competence in this endeavor. I'm merely living the life I've chosen for myself. As Jim Burke said in Chapter 22, "The problem is that I love teaching." I love it enough that I chose to spend my year this way...when I could be "having a life"...whatever that is.

As the saying goes, by any means necessary.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home