Tuesday, August 10, 2010

The Redbook Motherhood Survey

On a scale of 1 to 5, how satisfied are you with your current work status?

It really depends on the day. Since I was laid off, I didn't really have much of a choice, and I went from working full-time (which was stressful), to being a full-time stay-at-home-mom (which depending on the day, is also stressful). Generally though, I'm not totally devastated that I'm probably not going to be working this next school year. It's kind of an interesting situation, actually. I get to spend more time with the babe, and depending on the day, get more done. On the other hand, I also really like teaching and actually am much better at being around older kids. When it comes to babes, I pretty much am making it up as I go.

In 10 years, what do you think your work status will be?

I will probably be working full-time or part-time as a teacher. If not, then chances are pretty good that I'm living in a remote area raising goats or something. Baaaa!

What would be your ideal life/work arrangement?

Teach half-time, but public school teaching is generally an all-or-nothing gig. Part-time options exist, but they're somewhat rare. Outside of the public school setting, almost all other part-time teaching options come with no benefits.

Do you feel that your choice to work or not work is supported by the other people closest to you (family, friends)?

I doubt anyone cares one way or another.

Do you ever envy moms who have made work/life choices that are different from yours?

Not too much — just when I have the occasional rough day.

Who would you say handles more of the day-to-day parenting duties, you or your partner?

I handle more of the parenting duties than my partner. I was kind of hoping for more interest and involvement from him, but the current circumstances probably don't facilitate that much. And maybe it's just a general discomfort with the high needs period of infancy. Who knows. But sometimes I feel resentful, whether that's justified or not.

Which statement best describes your feelings?

I occasionally wish I could spend more time away from my children/by myself. I've always had a real high need for alone time. Needless to say, naptime is golden.

Which statement do you agree with more?

Being a mother is the most important role in my life

What is your single biggest concern for your children?

That they grow up to be happy and successful at whatever they choose in life.

What changes would make the biggest difference in making it easier for you to raise your children?

Seeing a higher value placed on the job of mothering in our culture (the whole maternity leave thing is a joke, having a more flexible work schedule would also help.

Since becoming a mom, do you feel more or less important to society as a whole?

More important — there's no job bigger than raising children--whether they happen to be mine or go home to someone else.


Who is your primary source of emotional support as a mom?

Sometimes my mom, sometimes friends and other moms.

How often do you feel pressure (whether internal or external) to be a "better" mom or to be a "perfect" mom?

Hardly ever — I trust my instincts and the choices I make.

How often do you feel judged or criticized by other moms?

Rarely

How often do you feel guilty about the job you're doing as a mom?

Rarely

On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate your average day-to-day stress level?

Somewhat stressful (3)

If you had to choose just one, what would you like to have more of?

Time just for me

What quality do you wish you had more of as a mother?

Organization, always organization.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home