Wednesday, October 21, 2009

hiccups

One of the many things people have been asking me if I've been feeling any hiccups yet. Up to now, I can't say that I've noticed anything, but it finally happened the other day.

My main question was why on earth would a baby be hiccuping, and how would I be able to tell it was happening? Well, as it turns out, it's actually pretty obvious. You will suddenly feel a steady rhythmic movement (kinda like a pulse), and voila, that's what's happening. Apparently, many babies have the hiccups while they are in the womb. So far it is just happening once in awhile (not necessarily every day), but there's been days where it happens multiple times per day.

According to an article I read, "only more mature fetuses hiccup in the womb because their central nervous system is adequately developed in order to allow this to happen. It is believed that the fetus breathes in amniotic fluid or drinks it. When this happens and the amniotic fluid enters and exists the fetus lungs then the diaphragm contracts and hiccups results". Interesting.

For me, at any rate, it's just another source of entertainment.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home