Friday, October 02, 2009

GTT

Ugggh. I wasn't looking forward to it, but week 28 was looming large, and it was time for the ol' Glucose Tolerance Test. The GTT is basically painless (unless you still have some remaining squeamishness about having your blood drawn--mine is basically gone at this point, having had it done so many times in the past year). Then, somehow, this is supposed to tell everyone whether or not you have gestational diabetes. In my case, the whole thing seems pretty pointless--I don't have any of the risk factors, but whatever...

My issue with the GTT is the part where I have to rush over to the lab straight after work and drink an ungodly amount of sweet orange liquid. I don't drink sodas in normal times, so it's a bit of shock to the system. I knew I would feel terrible afterward, so I arranged the whole thing so I would have a ride home after it was over.

Glucola tastes a bit like this Chinese brand of soda I remember having once--a bit like an overly sweet Sunkist, only totally uncarbonated, and teeth-curling sweet. Ick. The ironic thing is that I did it on the same day I came down with my first cold, so the orange liquid actually was actually very soothing to my throat, which was a bit inflamed at the time. The hardest part is sitting around for an hour. I was too tired to read the book I brought with me (an obvious time-killer), yet not comfortable enough to take a honest nap, so I just laid there on the couch and stared at the ceiling as the time crept slowly by. I was never so happy in my life to have my blood drawn and to get the heck out of there.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home