Thursday, October 01, 2009

More fun with PECs

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm working with a non-verbal student named Bob* who seems to be showing some readiness for using PECs to make requests and indicate choices. This is such an exciting development that I've been practicing with him a bit during lunch (and occasionally at other times, as "teachable moments" reveal themselves).

Lunch, of course, is an ideal time to practice using PECs to initiate requests and indicate choices. I've made it part of my routine to carry my PECs stash with me to the cafeteria (I've got one of those coupon organizers stuffed full of food-related items) and it goes with me when we take everyone down to the cafeteria for lunch. We're not to the point where he can use them to indicate choices while we're actually going through the line (at this point, I still have to use my best judgment and pick out something for him to eat), but when we hit the salad bar, I have a whole range of items that we can practice requests with.

Once Bob eats the main course, I whip out the cards. For example, I've got one with a picture of a milk carton (so he can ask me to open his milk carton for him--something he needs help with). I've got several pictures of common salad bar items. I arrange them off to the side, and will hand him something if he points at the picture of it. He's starting to figure this out how this works. The other day, he was really hungry, and very receptive, and I happened to have several types of fruit and vegetables to practice with. For example, he really likes cherry tomatoes, so I got him a few. When he ate those, I asked him if he wanted more. He pointed at the card, so I went back and got him some more. When he ate those, he pointed at the card again, so I got him some more (I'd say he's getting the hang of it). Then he pointed at another item, and I handed it to him, and the second verse is the same as the first.

It seems like such a small thing, probably, to ask for something and get it...this has been very eye-opening for me. (I've never had a student at the very beginning stages of communication, so every little sign of progress is very encouraging).

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home