Sunday, August 23, 2009

VOZ Pizza Party

The VOZ party is the first time that I've seen both Sarah and Stephen together for quite awhile (it seems like I've run into Stephen more often, which always seemed kind of ironic since when I lived with them, he was always gone doing SEIU stuff). They were having a fundraising party at their house for VOZ. The only people I recognized was Susannah and Romeo, but it was nice to meet some new folks (after all, I don't get out much these days).

I've never seen the earth oven in action (which I affectionately call the big brown egg), but the pizza sure was good. The crust of a pizza from a wood-fired oven is a thing of beauty, and Stephen was creative with his toppings (I never would have thought of feta, cilantro, and corn, but they were very good on a pizza). The food was awesome, and the weather was great, so I had a pretty good time just sitting there enjoying the lush backdrop of the garden (I wish my garden looked this good). There were some crazy renegade chickens from the house next door that flew over the fence, one after another, and walked around quite brazenly, pecking under your feet looking for stray bits of corn (someone brought a big pot of corn on the cob--yum!) and food. I ate a ton of watermelon and pizza (everyone kept plying me with food!) and listened to various conversations in Spanish (my Spanish sure is getting rusty from lack of use!), Fransisco's guitar, and the clucking of the chickens. It was a nice peaceful afternoon, and the perfect day for a garden party.

I brought home a bag full of heirloom tomatoes, which I will be quite happy to eat. By far the best Sunday I've had in a long time...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home