Monday, April 06, 2009

all along the watchtower

The special instructions were a confused medley. The sub folder was the most usefully arranged and functionally organized one I've ever seen in my life. Everyone was ludicrously helpful. The layout of the school was labyrinthine, more confusing than I had ever dreamed of...

"There must be some way out of here," said the joker to the thief" I started the week off at a huge high school that I've probably driven past a hundred times, past kids piled up all over the main bus stop looking like the cast of high school musical. Although I've seen it a million times, I have never been inside. It was a pretty surreal experience though, driving up there to work, and I'm sure at least part of the reason was because the sun was out.

"There's too much confusion, I can't get no relief." Figuring out how to get inside the building and find the office was a tall order. I had been warned that the layout of this school was "tricky" but other subs...they weren't kidding. Wandering around this way and that, I felt like I was in the middle of one of Sharon Valleri's opera house flashbacks (Battlestar Galactica) for some bizarre reason, perhaps due to all the stairs and corridors.

Even once I found the office, I still had no idea where to go or what to do next. Part of the trouble was that the person I was filling in for appeared to be in the middle of some kind of job transition or change of roles or something. What this meant for me as a sub is that I had no idea where I was supposed to be, or what I was supposed to do until the day was half over, and I finally located the elusive and mysterious "temporary schedule". This was definitely a day of "making it up as I went" and "fakin' it".

"No reason to get excited," the thief, he kindly spoke." A major plus was that I didn't have to keep an eye on anyone who was especially "squirrely" today (unlike Friday's case who was a bit of a runner). Half of the kids on my caseload were absent (apparently the MIAs were also the most challenging kids, how often do I get that lucky?) The rest were the sort that aren't too difficult to work with. I just did what I usually do--pick on the kids who are off-task and distracted, give the outliers a dose of positive attention where needed, left well enough alone, and helped the kids who appeared to need it, and stayed out of the way of those who were doing just fine on their own.

"There are many here among us who feel that life is but a joke." It was Monday morning, and there were all of the usual glazed over eyes, and groaning, moaning, tired teens, but thanks to the balmy weather and ample sunshine, there was also a lot of adolescent giddiness and kind of a lighthearted and playful mood at work in the building. In spite of the weather, I was impressed by how many of the kids were focused and on-task. Other than a couple of boys, who needed a bit of prodding, I didn't really have to get on anyone's case today. Most of the students I was with were good about working independently.

At mid-day, we rounded up some kids, and took them out to the track for some adaptive PE (APE), always one of my favorite things to do while subbing. Aside from the student exercise factor, the physical activity is good for teachers, and is a fun but effective way of encouraging students' more playful sides.

"But you and I, we've been through that, and this is not our fate, so let us not talk falsely now, the hour is getting late."

She was a few minutes late to class, but when she sat down at the desk, she took out her notebook and got right down to work. Every time I looked over, her legs were bouncing around, but she sat there working steadily, pencil moving across the page...At the end of the day, the courtyard outside was filled with sunning students, whose conversations and laughter drifted in the open windows along with the breeze carrying the subtly sweet smell of plum blossoms and sun-warmed grass... Another student was on the computer, studiously avoiding his homework. The room was filled with student drawings, craft supplies, and bins full of books. I talked a bit with the lead teacher who was doing some end-of-the day housekeeping until the bell rang. I also talked a little bit with the girl about light, inconsequential things. When the bell rang, she bounced up out of her desk, turned around and bid me good day, and dashed out into the general mob surging in the halls.

The lead teacher turned to me, bemused and said, "She must've taken a real shine to you. She doesn't usually like subs."

Kids are a trip. While some basic moves work on almost all kids, their individual interactional styles vary widely. Sometimes, you need to practically hold their hand to get them to get anything academic done. Other times, the best thing you can for students, is to resist the urge most adults have to hover, and just stay out of their way.

As a substitute para, walking into a new school almost every day, and meeting thousands of kids a year, I have found that often the best approach is to watch and wait before diving in--if for no other reason than the fact that you are a stranger, and not all kids are comfortable with strangers.

It's a good idea when you're subbing, to take some time to gauge the situation and give the kid/s some space at first. Kids are pretty good at advocating for themselves, and if they prefer for you to be close at hand, they'll usually let you know (even if they're totally non-verbal, they'll often come right up to you and take your hand and lead you wherever they're used to working with their regular aide). Usually what I do is quickly introduce myself to the student/s and let them know I am filling in for their regular para. I let them know that I am happy to help them with anything, and if they need anything, all they have to do is ask. Then I go sit unobtrusively somewhere in the back, or just generally circulate around the room, and try my best not to be a distracting presence in the room. I can always decide later that a kid would benefit from a more one-on-one approach if becomes apparent that they're off-task or need help with whatever they're working on.

In Special Education, teens, especially, often like to be as independent as possible (and those who spend time in mainstream classrooms, like to have some semblance of normalcy--and nothing shatters that quite like having an adult hanging around you all the time). Encouraging independence is a major goal of special education, so when in doubt, I try to give students a chance to be successful on their own before I step in. If nothing else, it gives student the opportunity to practice advocating for themselves (asking for help appropriately), which for many is one of their IEP/behavior goals.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home