Thursday, March 19, 2009

high interest reading: stephanie meyer

I've been a little slow to get on the bandwagon, but after hearing for the umpteenth time from a teenage girl about how great "twilight" is, I decided that now's as good a time as any to see what all the fuss is about. It certainly won't hurt me to have something else in my repertoire of instant conversation topics.

I went to Powell's on Wednesday, and bought the first two, and started reading #1 that evening. My reluctant readers said it was an easy read, and several kids that normally show no interest whatsoever in reading said they finished the first book in only a few days. Mostly it's been girls, but I've also known a few boys that will admit to being equally enthralled. I can see what they mean. It reads fast. I'm already on page 165 and I've only had the book for slightly more than 24 hours, and have only been reading it fitfully here and there when I have time. (Today, for example, I read some during SSR while the kids were reading, stopping quite often to look up and supervise the room, and I still made pretty good progress in spite of the fact that I re-read several parts multiple times due to the distractions of trying to watch a class of middle schoolers.)

I can readily see why it's so appealing...if only my textbook reading was so effortless...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home