Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Did I mention I hate 9th graders?

9th graders...uggh. What a terrible age.

For me, the worst ages/stages of kids are when they're in 5th, 7th, and 9th grade. At all other times, they're much more bearable, but for some reason, when kids are in these grades, they turn into hideous demon children. Okay, perhaps I am exaggerating, but not by much.

So sandwiched in between this creampuff assignment of highly specialized electives was one 9th grade class. And I wasn't expecting much to begin with, but it was worse than I could have imagined...

I worked with 9th graders for one year, and decided that 10th graders were more my speed, and stuck with them the following years. I was ecstatic to have 10th graders during student teaching (even though certain individuals did their best to keep me on my toes) and genuinely enjoyed most of them, even the "bad" ones (who often made me smile even as I was writing referrals). But while even 5th graders and 7th graders have their moments where they're funny and entertaining, there's nothing cute about 9th graders to me...

Needless to say, this day was a solid reminder that I will not, ever, under any circumstances, accept a permanent job assignment teaching 9th graders because we just don't get along--at all. period. Mixed classes with a few 9th graders thrown into the mix? Maybe. Otherwise, not a chance in this lifetime. I'd rather teach in a self-contained EBD class--at least they HAVE a good reason for acting the way they do! I am just NOT tolerant of the 9th grade brand of immaturity in quite the same way that I am tolerant of students who have documented emotional/behavioral disorders, or kids with AD/HD (who often drive me crazy, but are usually thoroughly likable people).

To anyone out there who does enjoy the antics of 9th graders and is called to work with this age group, let me just say you are a very special person, and a way better person than I ever have been or ever will be!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home