Sunday, February 22, 2009

Self Reliance

It seems like self-reliance is back in style these days. For some of us, it always has been. Nothing beats the gloom and doom of the financial news I get bombarded with every day like knowing that I can take care of myself pretty much no matter how bad things get. Really, if push came to shove, and we lost our house, it would be a setback, to be sure, but not the end of the universe. We'd figure something out.

In the spirit of a similar post over at Hedgetoad, I decided to copy this list of things I can DO FER MYSELF, and post what I can do or have done (in bold). What about you?

100 Things You Can Make Yourself (If you had to)

1. Applesauce (yep, I do it every year, and boy is it tasty!)

2. Spaghetti sauce (I also make this from scratch on years when I have enough tomatoes to spare). A lot of the time, I just freeze the tomatoes with veggies and have a kind of chunky pasta-with-veggie combo).

3. Barbecue sauce (I don't use this all the time, but I would imagine its the same process as making ketchup only sweeter and spicier).

4. Maple syrup (Never felt the need, but I know what a sugar maple tree looks like)

5. Jelly (This is pretty easy-sugar+pectin+fruit and you're in business)

6. Peanut butter (I don't live in an area where you can grow peanuts, but I'm perfectly capable of grinding them myself. Here, nutbutters make more sense)

7. Mayonnaise (could live without it if it disappeared)

8. Bacon (don't eat)

9. Guacamole (again, I don't live in a climate where these grow naturally, but if you have them, guacamole is the easiest thing in the world).

10. Pesto (I make this every summer)

11. Salsa (I make this every summer)

12. Mango salsa (see guacamole)

13. Vanilla extract (since I don't live in the tropics, I'd have to do without this)

14. Hummus (This is VERY easy to make)

15. Coffee (would have to live without it)

16. Tofu (this is very easy to make, although a bit time consuming)

17. Gravy (very easy to make)

18. Chocolate kisses (would do without)

19. Wedding cake (Very involved but not impossible)

20. Stuffing (very easy to make)

21. Rootbeer (I haven't made this but I know it's not difficult)

22. Ginger Ale (Very easy to make)

23. Pancake mix (Duh, just follow a recipe for pancakes)

24. Pudding pops (Totally easy)

25. Ice cream (Also ludicrously easy)

26. Chicken Nuggets (don't eat)

27. Pizza (Exceedingly simple to make)

28. Pasta (I've never been motivated to do it, but I know it's easy)

29. Pickles (I make them every year)

30. Wine (I also make this every year)

31. Beer (I don't make it, but I know it's about the same as making wine)

32. Whiskey (I would do without)

33. Dog treats (My dog seems perfectly happy with the stuff we eat)

34. Playdough (I've never made it, but I've seen recipes for it on the internet)

35. Fingerpaint (would do without)

36. Bubbles (would have to do without)

37. Books (Essentially this blog is my book)

38. Laundry detergent (I would probably wash my clothes a bit differently)

39. All purpose household cleaner (duh, vinegar, baking soda, and water do it all)

40. Soap (I'd be screwed)

41. Shampoo (I'd be screwed)

42. Hair conditioner (any oil based substance)

43. Moisturizer (any oil based substance)

44. Mouthwash (salt + water works)

45. Baskets (mine look pretty ghetto)

46. Incense (I'd go back to burning sage, rosemary, and lavender stems)

47. Paper (I know how to make this out of existing paper)

48. Rubber stamps (you can make stamps with almost anything that has a carve-able surface)

49. Jewelry (used to make often)

50. Curtains (super easy)

51. Rugs (I'm not real big on rugs)

52. Candles (I know how to make recycled wax candles)

53. Camera (I know how to make a pinhole camera)

54. CD Cases (I make CD cases all the time)

55. Bookshelves (I use dresser drawers turned on their sides or milk crates)

56. Couches (I'd do without, I'm not real wild about big bulky american furniture anyway)

57. Tables (Super easy)

58. Stool (that's what milk crates are for)

59. Sweater (I can knit but I'm not that great at it)

60. Skirt (I can make simple skirts)

61. Poncho (I think my sweaters would all look like ponchos)

62. Coat (and so would my coats)

63. Blouse (it would look like crap if I had to do it myself)

64. Shorts (don't wear shorts)

65. Gloves (I haven't gotten that far in my knitting yet)

66. Socks (my socks would be pretty basic looking-like tubes)

67. Tree fort (we built these a lot as kids)

68. Back yard shed (as long as your idea of shed was pretty flexible)

69. Gazebo (depending on how complicated the design)

70. Windmill (a simple one, yes)

71. Birdhouse (easy)

72. Compost (I do this)

73. Biodiesel (I know the basics of how this works)

74. Solar power generator (I know a little about solar stuff)

75. House (I'd probably live in a shack or a tent)

76. Snowshoes (I always thought it would be fun to make snow shoes)

77. Sun clock (easy)

78. Bread (I don't do this often, but it's so good)

79. Potato chips (I know a 5 year old kid who can explain this)

80. Pretzels (again, fairly easy)

81. Donuts (I've never made these from scratch, but my grandmother used to)

82. Sausages (Don't eat)

83. Bagels (Bagels are challenging)

84. A pinata (paper machie? I'm all over it)

85. Crayons (I know you need wax and pigments)

86. Gnocchi (have never made)

87. A guitar (have never made)

88. 4th of July sparklers (would do without for safety reasons)

89. A lava lamp (have never made)

90. Tortillas (as long as I had access to corn meal, I could manage)

91. Kimchi (make often)

92. A hula hoop (helloo irrigation pipe)

93. A loofah (this is a variety of squash)

94. Cheese (I'd probably be making farm cheese or labneh)

95. 3D glasses (have never made)

96. A Kite (used to make all the time)

97. An igloo (used to make as a kid)

98. Modeling clay (have never made)

99. Crossword puzzles (make all the time)

100. Cuff links (don't need)

1 Comments:

Blogger ariel said...

i'd like to know how you plan to do without fingerpaint....

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home