Saturday, February 21, 2009

feeling lazy

Like a lot of people who spend their days teaching, I tend to feel pretty lazy when the weekend rolls around. Today was no exception.

Although it was sunny outside, it was too cold to really take advantage of the lack of active precipitation. Actually it isn't the cold that bothers me on days like this-- the cold I can accept as a fact of winter life. It's the unbearable, lip-chapping, teeth-chattering cold winds that come barreling out of the Gorge that gets me down.

A few blocks' walk is all I could manage with the dog, who is far more enthusiastic about this sort of thing than I am. The trouble with walks is eventually part of the walk is against the wind.

The rain is supposed to come back...and really I don't think I'd mind. While the sun is cheerful out there, shining through my windows, I can't fully appreciate it on these days I've been chased indoors. I end up doing the same things anyway--cracking out on the internet, or reading, or creating CLOZE reading passages for an imagined future when I will have students of my very own. Yes, I still long for that, even though I've pretty much resigned myself to subbing. It's difficult to imagine that I will get the job of my dreams in these dreary financial times.

I'm going to take a class this spring for the first time in awhile. I really need to get about finishing up my endorsement, and now that I've been working for awhile, I can afford to dump more money into my continuing ed project. It'll be nice to be a student again, and not always a teacher. I'm pretty good at being a student now that I've had over 20 years of practice...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home