Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Weird times

One thing that's bad about giving out your sub ID is you never know when something strange might be done with it.

So I'm in the middle of Fubonn, minding my own affairs, when all of a sudden, my phone rings. On the other end is an administrator for a middle school I work at once in awhile...

...Wanting to know why I'm not there.

Huh??? I didn't pick up any jobs off of Subfinder this morning, and I didn't get any phone calls from either district. So why would I have a reason to be anywhere? Very very strange!

It took a lot of convincing to persuade them that I had no knowledge of the assignment and wasn't a total flake. I get the feeling that the office staff already thinks I'm a bit off an odd duck, but I suspect they put up with me because I am there for what is considered one of the toughest and hardest to fill of all sub jobs-the self-contained behavior classroom. Not too many people will take those assignments, much less at the secondary level.

So later on, I check Subfinder, before going to bed, just to make sure nothing weird is going on, and there it is again! I'm automatically signed up for this mystery job without having to say or do anything.

Okay, so maybe it's not that big of a mystery after all--it's a job I've done a few time in the past (I like the school and the kids pretty well), and the employee has my sub ID number. Apparently she plugged in my info which automatically assigned me to the job somehow, instead of going through the normal request process.

The problem with doing that is:
a. I work for two districts for both job types, so it's dangerous to automatically assume I'm available.
b. Doing that circumvents the process where I get contacted and know where and when to show up.

It was kind of strange, but figured I'd just go ahead and take the assignment. Like I said, it's not a bad gig, I like the school and the kids pretty well, and things have been pretty dry lately. As I've said on numerous other occasions, I'm kind of experimenting with EBD this year, and although I don't think I'm the best ever at it, it's not something I'm finding to be any more difficult than any other aspect of subbing. I might as well do another middle school job while I'm still in middle school mode, but I have to admit that it's kind of weird to have to get back into the mode of picking up daily assignments. I'll admit that I got kinda spoiled by my cushy little long-term assignment. It was awfully nice to not have to do the early morning shuffle and have that sense of continuity. Now I'm back to playing telephone with two different districts...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home