Tuesday, November 04, 2008

election stuff

I don't really feel much like talking about the election after hearing about it endlessly for months, but I'll just say a couple of things:

1. I'll have to admit that I'm actually rather excited about having Obama as a president. I can't recall ever being even remotely interested in presidential elections in the past (other than desperately hoping certain candidates wouldn't have control of the country for the next 4-8 years). This time, I'm actually kind of excited about it. The way I feel about Obama is kind of hard to explain...I'm not obsessed with him the way some people are, and I didn't dare get my hopes up that he'd win because it seemed sooo unlikely given that there are a lot of people out there who still hold some very racist beliefs. Now that he's been elected, I feel a great sense of relief that maybe things are going to change for the better in this country, some of the crazy repressive stuff will stop, and we'll start moving in a more positive and productive direction as a country. If nothing else, the economy should recover finally now that the Republicans are gone, and my job prospects will finally improve after nearly a decade of life under Bush. Lastly, someone told me once that Obama's an INTP, which is a rather odd MBTI profile for a political figure. I'm an INTP too, so I figure I'll be able to understand the way he sees things. If nothing else, I figure us INTPs gotta stick together.

2. I was super glad to see that Measure 58 didn't pass. As much anti-immigrant sentiment as there is in this state, I'm pleased to see that enough people voted against this and we won't end up like CA and AZ. As a teacher, I have every reason in the world to care.

3. As far as the rest of the ballot measures go, I was pleased that Bill Sizemore had his ass handed to him. I wish he'd go get a life, and apparently most of the rest of us feel the same way.

4. I'm still stuck with Gordon Smith, and I guess I'm not surprised by that.

5. A lot of the races were really close this year.

Okay enough election stuff. I'll be happy to get on with my life and not see another political ad for quite awhile, although I'll have to admit it was cool to see the kids so interested in the elections. Usually they couldn't care less.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home