Monday, November 03, 2008

squirrels or students?

Middle school students are like puppies, as I always say. They wiggle and squirm a lot and chew on things (pencils and pens especially), and they're awkward beyond belief, but they're kinda cute and tend to grow on you.

I spent Monday and Tuesday subbing at a middle school, and have to admit that middle school kids are not too bad. I like working at this school anyway even though it's far from home because the kids are pretty awesome and it's a PBS school which makes things pretty easy on the discipline end.

I really used to be kind of leery about kids this age, and wasn't sure if I even wanted to pursue middle-level licensure, but I am starting to discover that kids this age can be a lot of fun. In some ways they're easier to deal with than high school kids (less defiant, usually more cooperative). They still like to push your buttons, but they're not quite as good at it yet. They're definitely more silly and goofy and I find that kind of charming.

It was a great way to start the week--I enjoy being requested anyhow because it means I know what to expect when I arrive, and I like going back to a group of kids I already know because once they get to know you they tend to relax a lot more around you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home