Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Survey on Age

Attitudes about Aging

Are young people generally more selfish than their parents and grandparents?

I think it depends on your age somewhat (young children have to learn how to think of the needs of others, it doesn't come naturally). I think that your personality has more to do with how selfish you are than your age does, and I know many adults who act just as selfish and spoiled as any two year-old.

Does age make you more aware of and caring for others?

I think it can, but I also think the quality of your life experiences and how you were treated when you were growing up has more to do with this.

What do you think is the best age to be?

I really don't know, I'm sure every age has its good points and its bad points. I tell you what though, I wouldn't ever want to be 12 again, ick! Such an awkward age that was!

Should young people have to do some form of military or community service by law?

No, I don't believe either should ever be compulsory, but I think there should definitely be incentives for people to do things that involve a lot of personal sacrifice.

Should people of between 50 and 55 be forced to retire from their jobs in order to make way for younger workers?

No. I think retirement should always be a voluntary decision based on one's own circumstances, both for financial reasons and based on one's personal satisfaction with their job. If you enjoy what you are doing, by all means keep doing it! For example, some people should probably retire at 40 whereas others could still be happy and kickin' it at work when they are 90+.

Are there many things that the old can teach the young or are they hopelessly out of touch by the time they reach a certain age?

I think we all can learn from each other. Elders have a lot to teach, but sometimes you can even learn something profound about life from even the smallest child. Being open to both possibilities is probably the better way to go.

Do you think that older people make better leaders?

Sometimes I feel this is true (the experience and wisdom factor is hard to dispute), but I think it also depends on whether or not you are willing to listen to new ideas and keep up with the times. Someone who is too set in their ways and completely inflexible is probably incapable of facing the fact that the world is constantly changing and with that kind of outlook, I don't think you can the most effective leader.

Some people say that men age better than women, and remain attractive longer – do you agree?

I think it's all relative and that "attractiveness" is more a state of mind and a way of carrying yourself, than merely a standard of physical beauty.

Some people say that men never grow up, they just get bigger – do you agree?

Yes, I have to say I agree. I have seen lots of proof of this. I think all grown men have a 5 year-old boy lurking in their heart of hearts.

What do you think is the ideal age for each of these stages of your life:

Starting School: ? Not sure, for some kids it could be very early (when you need early intervention for developmental delays), for others it could be as late as 6 (Some kids are so advanced that kindergarten is a joke).

Starting Dating: when you're emotionally ready.

Leaving School/starting work: when you have developed that sense of yourself-of knowing what you want to do and why you want to do it.

Leaving your parents' home: when you start feeling the need for independence.

Getting Married: I don't think age matters so much as how well you really know yourself, how well you know the other person, and what you're getting yourself into. I think that it's a decision you should make with input from others. There's 40 year-olds who shouldn't get married!

Having a Child: I wouldn't set an age limit on this, but I think it's definitely easier if you have enough going on for yourself that you can realistically support a child.

Retiring: when you no longer feel the desire to work.

Are you afraid of getting old?

No. Not really, I'm sure I'll be fine.

What is your ideal old age to live to?


I really don't care as long as I'm still in control of my senses. If I no longer can do most of the things I enjoy and can't even recognize my family members, then I think it's time to split.

Do you prefer to live in the retirement home or live with young people?

I definitely wouldn't want to live in a retirement community. I like variety, and who really wants every conversation to be about your health problems? That seems so depressing to me, like shutting yourself off from the world of the living.

Should parents continue to finance their children after the children are 18?

I don't think you should just cut your kids off the day they turn 18, it's awfully hard to survive in the world as it is today (with the kind of credentials, work history and life skills you typically have at 18...even finding a place to live is difficult because how many landlords do you know that want to rent out a place to a bunch of 18-year olds?). But I also think that the nature of the relationship needs to change, and that there needs to be reciprocity involved, that boundaries and limits should evolve to meet the new role, and there should be incentives for the kid to make the transition to greater independence. There should also be a specific goal or time frame in mind.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home