Monday, March 06, 2006

Prop 187

I don't often talk about class, but sometimes it's really amazing. Last night we were watching a movie about Prop 187, which was all about outlawing bilingual education in California.
I'll just be a big jerk and say for the record that I don't care what YOU think about bilingual education and immigration issues...I've got my own outspoken ideas on this topic, and frankly I think outlawing bilingual ed in California is possibly one of the stupidest ideas California's ever come up with...and Californians are known for doing dumb ass shit like electing movie stars for political offices. But slagging of the great state of CA aside (there are some good things there, it's just not always obvious what they are), it reminds me a great deal of the current uproar that has manifested all of the current meanspiritedness of my fellow Americans into this thing called the Sessenbrenner bill.

We were shocked to find out after class that M.E. was There...wow. That ads a whole new dimension to the topic.

So I guess for me, the 5 million dollar question is why the heck would someone be even remotely interested in teaching ESL if you have ambivalent feelings on the subject? Seems kinda weird to me. But yet, I see it all the time...on tv and real life.
All I can say is, you can't do something you don't believe in...whatever it is.

And no I don't really hate California...I just think some of y'all are...a bit "special". Maybe it's the cumulative effect of living in a mostly frost free climate...who knows...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home