Sunday, January 22, 2006

who has time for activism



I envy people who have time to even think about activism. Right now, to me, that feels like an amazing luxury. For example, on the FNB list, there's a vigorous argument about whether or not all chapters should serve only vegan or vegetarian food. On on the IMC list, the question of whether or not to become involved in advertising. I'd personally be thrilled to have the time and energy to think about such abstract things. Although I can incorporate “activism” in how I conduct my own affairs, and reflect it in the day-to-day choices I make, anything smacking of further outreach or interaction is pretty much out of the question.


Frankly, at the moment, I don’t have time to keep up with current affairs beyond reading the headlines of newspapers on street corners, don’t have time to do volunteer work with any of the amazing organizations here, and don't even have time to socialize with like minded people. In the past I was involved in all kinds of worthy social justice projects that I now no longer have time for.

Right now I feel like I'm really not making much of a difference in the world. I tend to feel pretty powerless much of the time to change anything around me. Conversations about "the meaning of life" are as close as I get to “activism” at the moment.

I’m seriously hoping that when I start teaching somewhere and no longer have to work 2 jobs and go to school all at the same time, I can incorporate more activism and social justice back into my life. At the same time I'm also well aware that I have to be rather careful about how I go about it if I want to have a public service career. But being an educator is a good platform for advocating social justice, and I mean full well to take advantage of it. Although I'm sure there are people out there who violently disagree, I think that examinint the causes and effects of institutional racism and poverty and other forms of social equality are worthy educational goals, and I think in being a teacher, it is a good way of furthering civil rights. The work can be painful, and breaking down assumptions is hard work, but who doesn't want to live in a better world? Getting people in a place where they can think critically, and think for themselves is probably worth whatever sacrifices I am making now with my free time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home