Sunday, December 30, 2007

Christmas decoration fetish

I'll confess that I have a bit of a fetish for over the top, out of control, exuberant and bombastic Christmas decorations. Although it would never occur to me to purchase much less display 50 plastic santas, life-sized nativity scenes, enough lighting to illuminate the whole block, or start cutting $200+ checks to the power company; I wholeheartedly admire the more adventurous folks out there who will go there. Unfortunately I don't normally carry a camera with me, but fortunately someone else finds this phenomenon fascinating enough to devote a website to it:

http://tackychristmasyards.com

Unlike Kat, I tend to admire the "tackiness" of these seasonal displays (instead of finding it somewhat offensive). I'll admit that the proliferation of inflatable things disturbs me, but that's another issue. Regardless of our aesthetic differences, I admire those who devote so much time and energy to erecting these temporary shrines to fight off the winter blahhs, and am perfectly content to sit back and watch the show...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home