Sunday, September 02, 2007

Timothy Lake Labor Day Trip

Today and tomorrow, we are going on a short little overnight trip to Timothy Lake, which is a part of the Mt. Hood National Forest. I really wanted to go camping somewhere for the labor day weekend, but we didn't have anything planned or reserved, so I was pleasantly surprised that we were able to go here, out by Mt. Hood, something I've been wanting to do ever since I've moved up to this end of the state, but haven't gotten around to yet.

That's the thing about Oregon...there's so many places to go and see that you could live here your whole life and never see 'em all. What's amazing is that there's so many places to go camping that are relatively close by. I love it.

Timothy Lake lies at about 3000 ft and is approximately 1500 acres, so it should be nice and cool up there. It is a popular fishing lake and various people have told me that allegedly no motorized craft is allowed, so it should be relatively quiet. I'm all about quiet. Along the north shore of the lake, there are lots of inlets to explore, and might be full of crawdads, which are always fun to watch. A major inlet, Copper Creek, and an unnamed creek flow into the lake. There is a footbridge that crosses the creek 1.5 to 2 miles from the start of the inlet. From the lake, there is a great view of Mount Hood. Mt Hood's been pretty hard to see from Portland so I'm looking forward to some close and personal Mt. Hood time...I'm supposed to be doing the "Mountain Meditation". This should help.

This is the last hurrah of summer. After this it's all about back to school, in all of its school-like glory.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home