Monday, June 26, 2006

hotta than bisquits!

yo it's super hot here. Today was day three over 100+ degree (38 c) weather. I realize of course that there's many places on earth (such as Iraq) where this is neither remarkable nor unusual. However here in Portland, it IS worth noting when it gets above 80 (27 c) degrees.

This is one of the few days i can remember in a long while I can remember being excited about going to work on Monday morning. Why? Because we have copious A/C at work. Nice lovely A/C. No sweatin' like a hog over there. No siree. Just hit the juice and cold water in the fridge from time to time and bask in the glorious flow of cold cold air.

And to think I used to work outdoors when it was like this...granted about half of the time I had a hose in my right hand and it was on...you can imagine what else I might've been a waterin' along with them plants out there in the field.

I saw a woman pop open up her hood right after pulling up out front and she reached in and opened her radiator cap. Those of you who know a thing or two about how operating vehicles with internal combustion engines might recognize this as the highly dangerous activity it is. Yes, you guessed it, the contents of her radiator came gushing out like a fountain. Right in her face. I'm happy to report that she survived without receiving third degree burns. She probably lost a few years off her life though, poor thing. I hope she's okay.

I came home an a hour after my normal end of shift. Who really wants to ride on a city bus with questionable A/C on a 100 degree day with a pack of sweaty bodies, some of which could use a little quality time with soap and water, even under normal conditions. Combine that with the liquid stench of chronic alcoholism and well...you can understand my desire to wait it out for an off peak commute.

Back at the homestead it was as hot inside as it was outside. Which was not so cool as the sun was out for 4 more hours. So we set up camp over at Tiny's and waited out the worst of the heat with some cold beer and took advantage of their A/C. Here it is now 10pm and the house is still unbearably hot. It'll be hours before I can go to sleep. Uggh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home