Monday, October 31, 2005

Happy Halloween/Dia de los Muertos

Happy Halloween kidz.
I celebrated by going to work (wore a salwar kameez), losing my lunch on the bus, and later getting a pumpkin shake at burgerville.

The costume I should have worn this year was a dead republican (the only good one is a dead one har har)...if I wasn't so worried about ruining my job interview clothes in this super rainy weather, that is.

No parties. Not even one trick or treater. It's a monday night so we're sitting around watching football. I'm working on my powerpoint presentation. Tomorrow I have a date with UPS. Hopefully I won't need to actually do any repetitive heavy lifting, but I need a plan B if no one else is charmed by my numerous job applications. I'm not in a place to be choosy these days. As much as I want a part time school job, I'm sure I have plenty of competition.

Riding the bus home yesterday, the day labor circuit was chatting it up. I'm trying to dig myself out of a hole, but at least I have some options with a college degree even though work in general is not widely available. I'm glad I'm not fighting over housekeeping positions with 35 year old women with 3 kids and no car. It seems immoral in some kind of way.
But what sucks even more when you think about it is that we don't have any dignity to offer in low wage work situations (I'm not even going to call them jobs--they're more like states of being...being perpetually underpaid and being perpetually treated like you are worthless). How the people who run these "operations" can sleep at night is beyond me.

Well anyhow, enough of my critique of capitalism for today. I'm going to switch gears:
This year, for Dia de Los Muertos, I'm going to build a shrine for Bev (who is like a mythical presence around here anyway) who passed on the other day. Don't get me wrong, I didn't know her, and never got to meet her, but her influence on our household will no doubt extend long past her life here on earth. I haven't met her, but I am assuming she is the TJ to a community of people involved in migrant worker issues. Her soul no doubt lives in on in our garden... she had a great influence on that I'm sure.
She was lucky enough to die surrounded by friends in her own home, and after a struggle with cancer, probably had about as ideal of a situation as you can get.

word.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home