Thursday, August 02, 2007

Sauvie trip

Today was another one of my Sauvie Island trips (they feel like much more of an expedition than they used to, now that I live so much further away). Driving downtown was pretty hectic (it almost always is these days). I'm kinda glad that I couldn't levitate out of bed at the time I had originally suggested (silly me, I forgot about the whole morning rush hour traffic phenomenon).

Still though, that does nothing to allay the utter sense of disorientation that hits when i have to get in a car and drive downtown. It such and odd thing to admit, and I have lived here for 2 years now so there's no excuse, but I still have very little sense for finding things downtown. It's not like it's particularly big, and there's nothing there that defies the well-crafted logic of the grid system, but lord help me I can't ever figure out where I'm supposed to go when I'm down there, and the construction has only made things worse. Not to mention, that my overwhelmingly pedestrian orientation does not translate into any sort of skillful navigation once I hop in a car. It took some serious circling like a wounded vulture before I was able to find 王小姐 on the corner of Hall and I could hardly get back to the Eastside fast enough.

It was a bit disappointing to find out that most of the blueberries were gone. I was only able to pick 2 1/2 qts, when I was really shooting for 4 or so. But I made up for it in peaches, where I filled up a whole flat full of those fuzzy-fleshed juicy bulging orange treasures.

I ended up taking 王小姐 on a side trip to the nature preserve, figuring that 她 should have a chance to see it. In my mind, it would be tragic if 她 spent all this time in Portland and never got to see it because it's a pretty special place (at least to me).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home