Thursday, November 01, 2012

Brussels Sprouts and High School Students

Back when I used to work at Cleveland High School, the cafeteria manager, Leslie, used to make these amazing brussels sprouts. (Cleveland participates in the Farms to School Program, so throughout the year they get the most amazing produce that they serve in the cafeteria.) I'd come down in the morning during second period with my students, and I'd see her getting them ready to bake. Maybe it's just me, but they smelled amazing. Of course, not everyone was brave enough to try them, but I spent quite a bit of time in the cafeteria supervising high school students during lunch, and I can confirm that a fair amount of them got eaten--more than you'd think, anyway. (And if they didn't, I went over to the "free table" and helped myself to a few, they were VERY good).

I found a recipe that seems to be exactly like what I remember from those days, so I'm posting it up on here, so I can always find it when I'm feeling nostalgic for Leslie's Brussels Sprouts.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Total Time: 40 min (prep 10 min, cook 30 min, yield: 6 servings) Ingredients
• 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts • 3 tablespoons good olive oil • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 30 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.
Serves: 6; Calories: 109; Total Fat: 7 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 4 grams; Total carbohydrates: 10 grams; Sugar: 2 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 269 milligrams

Now, I always wondered what it was like to be a teacher stuck in a room with 30+ kids who may have had Brussels Sprouts for lunch...(I was in SPED, we only have 15, and I had my break AFTER lunch...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home