Sunday, April 01, 2007

24 little hours

It's so hard to believe that grad school starts tomorrow...It's kind of mind-boggling that I'm standing on the threshhold of everything that i've been bustin' ass for for the past couple of years. (If you want to get right down to it's probably been even longer because I first got the notion to get into teaching around 2002 and everything that happened after that kinda led up to me realizing that was where I needed to be).

All those long hard frustrating days trying to climb the mountain and here I am standing here above the clouds getting ready to make my final climp to the top (graduation and licensure). It's just amazing how many times I've fallen and had to pick myself back up and keep going...

I got some inspiring books to read over spring break to get in the right frame of mind for what's coming next. The best one though was the one i never would have suspected. It's a slim volume put out by Kappa Delta called Star Teacher of Children in Poverty. It looked unassuming to be sure, but I don't recall the last time I was so inspired by reading a book about teaching. This feller sure knows how to cut through the crap like a hot knife through butter. I used to actually think I was crazy sometimes trying to function in a very bureaucratic world that has some very inhuman ideas about what education should consist of, but here it is, half of the things that I consider important pieces of my understanding about life all laid bare. It's as foundational to my understanding of what I do as Madogiwa Tottochan. That was a good disovery to make up there in the stacks.

Well I'm gonna try my best to throw any preconcieved ideas about what to expect out the window and just try to go with it and see what happens out there. It oughta be interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home